December 15, 2019   7:11am
A A A

Text Size

Snoety Book Club Update

Many thanks to those of you who responded to the idea of a snoety book club.

Given the yes and no votes received (below and in emails), my sense is that you want to be able to exchange titles of books enjoyed, but there aren’t enough of you who really want to get a “formal” club going. So, in lieu of a “club,” we’ll provide a place on snoety for you to send in book titles you’re enthusiastic about with comments as to why — and a place for the willing to converse online.

Appreciate your input and will let you know when it’s up and running …

Harriett

∞ ∞ ∞

A SNOETY BOOK CLUB?

A number of friends suggested that snoety start a virtual book club — a place where we could share titles of books we’ve loved and why. I wasn’t too enthused. Then, I was invited to join a real physical book club and last week attended my first meeting. Was terrific! Now I’m thoroughly on board.

What changed my mind? I had forgotten: how interesting it is to talk about a good book with others … how fascinating to have elements brought up that I totally missed … how energizing to debate this point or that… what a jolt to be reminded how my own experiences have such an impact on my perceptions … And, since the book club I attended was totally female, it was just plain fun to meet and talk about “stuff” the way only women can.

A book club for Snoety? I’m putting the question to you. Are you interested? Will you make recommendations? Will you be part of an online discussion?

Use the comment box below to let me know. Just type in what you’re thinking and any general suggestions you might have for the club … or specific recommendations for books. (And — don’t forget — click on the orange-y submit button at the bottom of the comment box when you’ve finished typing so I get your message.)

Anxious to hear what you think,

Harriett

Snoety symbol

5 Comments
Denise says: April 1st, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Definitely interested. I am looking for a good book club. (I am a lapsed member of my book club). I know SNOETY’s will be great!
Just finished Pillars of The Earth (yeah, I know… everyone has read it already). It was great and I wanted to talk w/ someone about it. Really like the idea of a virtual book club.

Shawn says: April 1st, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Love the idea of a virtual book club! Never have time to get to one – and am always looking for good books to read….last one that I loved is “Water for Elephants”….even got my husband to read it!

rosalind says: April 1st, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Yes, I would be interested in being part of a virtual book club. I “joined” a physical one and in all honesty managed to attend only one meeting.

Cindy says: April 1st, 2008 at 2:51 pm

I think snoety is a fantastic place to share good reading recommendations, especially given my sense that snoety women are smart, thoughtful, aware and therefore probably, well read!

I will say, as a member of a vibrant, longstanding “in person” women’s book club (and I am one of the newest members) there is no substitute for an interpersonal discussion of a book. My book club experience has taught me to be more open to the possibilities in a book because the diverse perspectives that surface in a good discussion always shed new light.

We just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Not all of us liked it. It is a disturbing book in may ways but a hopeful book in others. Certainly a provocative read and well, well written.

Lisa Durbrow says: April 1st, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I also love the idea of a book club. I started one 8 years ago and am happy to stay that it is still going strong. After a couple of hours spent talking about the book, I usually leave the meeting with a broader appreciation of the book due to the members differing perspectives. I am always looking for interesting books to read and recommendations from ‘SNOETYs’ around the country would be terrific!
ps–What was your last book?

Have a comment, question or story to tell? Send it here.

Required and will be published (first, last, or both)

Required (will NOT be published)