October 16, 2019   1:03pm
A A A

Text Size

 

Don’t Feed Your Dog Raisins or Grapes!

Just like with kids, you’ve got to watch out for potential dangers to your dogs — this includes their diet!  So, when we received this warning in our inbox, we checked sources to be sure of it’s accuracy, and now pass the info on to you …

You can easily forward this to other dog owners by clicking on “email this item to a friend” (upper right corner of this post).  Please share!

The following story was written and sent out by Laurinda Morris, DVM, Danville Veterinary Clinic, Danville, OH:

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday, but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM .

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor, like me, had also heard something about it.

Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn’t control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 … He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don’t have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

VERIFYING INFO:

From About.com: Are grapes and raisins really poisonous to your pets

From ASPCA:   Top 10 Pet Poisons of 2008 and People Foods to Avoid Feeding your Pets

From Wikipedia:  Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs

Snoety symbol
 
 
2 Comments
anvita says: March 10th, 2009 at 5:02 am

my doggie is pregnant and we had unknowingly fed her with grapes, can you tell me is there any problem for her or her youngones though she hasnt shown any signs of any type of illness… And can you please guide me as to what i should and what i shouldnt feed her..

Harriett says: March 10th, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Hi Anvita,
Suggest you call your vet as he/she will be able to guide you far better than we can. Sorry we can’t be more helpful, but your really need to talk with someone who “knows” your pup.
Harriett

Have a comment, question or story to tell? Send it here.

Required and will be published (first, last, or both)

Required (will NOT be published)